If you are IT competent and have a flair for marketing, you should think about getting into digital marketing, as this is a career that has a very stable future. What are the skill sets that you need in order to get in on the ground floor? Computer science is a must-have, of course, while English language fluency is another requirement, plus you should be a person with excellent communication skills.
Here are a few tips to help you find the right company to support your learning in this demanding field.
- Understanding Google’s search engine – Search engine optimization is a very complex discipline and Google is very secretive about the algorithms they use for website ranking, yet there are lots of free resources online that can help you gain a deeper insight into the inner workings of the number one search engine. A good SEO technician can command a high salary and even though it might take a few years of hard studying to get there, it is most certainly a goal to aspire to.
- Prepare a comprehensive Resume – This is something you should spend time on and it needs to include your schooling history, qualifications and some personal details. Send it to the leading digital marketing agency in Thailand and see what they have to say; if you are enthusiastic and are prepared to work for the agency for a specific amount of time, they might take you on as a trainee. It would take 3-4 years until you are able to work alone and deliver high performance results for your clients.
- Enrol in online SEO courses – There are a lot of online courses that will help you acquire the skill sets that you need to excel at digital marketing and taking a few of these is always a good idea. This gives some structure to your learning and when you are working as a trainee, you will always be supervised by experienced SEO technicians, at least until you acquire basic skills.
- Social media – If you thought that social media is something for users to keep in touch, think again, as all social media platforms offer great marketing potential. Facebook, for example, is very complex and offers many marketing tools that can help you gain a large social media following. There’s nothing stopping you from getting into Facebook marketing tools and the sooner you become competent, the better. You can find cheap resume writers online, who would be happy to help you prepare for job hunting.
- Ask questions – If you are a curious type of person, you should ask questions about aspects of digital marketing that you don’t fully understand. Your colleagues would be happy to teach you what they know and the old saying, ‘if you don’t ask, you won’t know’ certainly applies in this case.
There are many top digital marketing agencies based in Thailand and sending your resume to these firms is advisable. If you apply yourself 100% to the task at hand, you will quickly see your knowledge increase.